Research and Development Director
The R&D Director provides leadership to the R&D team tasked with the development of new medical device products as defined by corporate product strategies. The R&D Director will lead all aspects of the product development cycle from concept to commercialization and will work with peers in marketing, manufacturing, quality and regulatory to achieve product development goals.
- Provides technical leadership to the R&D team in the development and subsequent commercialization of products.
- Oversees the development of products and corresponding processes which meet requirements throughout the design phase.
- Defines capacity and resource requirements, including the recruitment, mentoring and development of the R&D Team to meet the ramp up requirements.
- Liaises with Business Development, Physicians, Manufacturing & Quality to ensure that the transition of products through R&D, product approval and manufacturing scale up are smooth, timely and cost effective.
- Supports manufacturing post product commercialization.
- Develops and implements programs in conjunction with Manufacturing Engineering, Operations and Quality Functions which drive a continuous improvement approach in the design for manufacture effectiveness.
- Manages development projects in line with company product strategies and timing objectives while maintaining compliance with approved procedures and in adherence to ISO and FDA regulations.
- Participates as a member of the senior management team on site and takes a shared responsibility for its overall success.
- Supports the management of continuous flow of project pipeline
- Support strategic changes within the R&D group to support business growth and to optimize the design cycle process.
- Create a network of physicians to ensure R&D engineers gain knowledge experience in relation to the specific anatomy region they are designing products for.
- Attend conferences to stay up to date with current trends, new requirements and seek out opportunities to develop differentiating products.
Qualifications and experience
- An Engineering or Science Degree.
- A minimum of 10 years leading engineering teams in medical device new product development.
Competencies and Attributes
- Demonstrable detailed working knowledge of, and expertise in, the medical device industry.
- A thorough knowledge of design life cycles requirements.
- Ability to manage a high performing team to achieve desired outcomes.
- Is creative, continually stimulates his/her team to learn and explore new ideas.
- A strong team player who builds and cultivates a winning culture though the team.
- A good communicator who can easily convey his/her ideas and requirements across all levels in the organisation. Is comfortable and confident in presenting to customers or other external bodies.
- Capacity to make sound judgements relating to the effective management of the company’s resources.
- Has a strong understanding and application of project management tools.
- Effective knowledge of the regulatory environment in which the business operates.
- Attention to detail while maintaining awareness of longer-term objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a demonstrated ability to influence his/her peers.
- Displays the highest levels of integrity and diplomacy.
- Capacity to maintain the highest levels of confidentiality internally and externally.
- Acts in conjunction with his/her management peers as a champion of company values and standards.
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of medical device development and manufacturing, including design and materials, process development and interfacing with physicians.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills in engineering and product design and development.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.